Monday, April 4, 2016

Interview with Jesse Teller, author of Liefdom - Please Support his KindleScout Campaign!





Inside the Book:



 
A fiery fairy battles for purpose.
Liefdom is the story of Gentry Mandrake. Born with natural weapons in a race known for pacifism, he is cast out and hated for his differences. He hunts for a place among his people, while fighting to defend the human child bound to him. His violent nature makes him wonder at the purity of his soul, while the dark creatures he must face seem too great to defeat. Can he overcome such terrible foes to defend those he loves?

THE INTERVIEW


 
When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

I was told I was a writer by my fifth grade teacher, Mr. Olsen. He had given me the assignment to write a short story and had blown my mind. For some reason that I still don’t understand, I thought you had to have permission to write a story down. My story was about a boy whose parents were divorced and his dad was off on safari. On his birthday, he received a crate in the mail with a purple hippopotamus in it. The boy rode it to school.

How long did it take you to write the book?

I write 4,000 words a day, every day. It doesn’t take long to punch your way through a book at that pace. The rough draft kind of springs up quickly like a weed. The thing that took so long with Liefdom was getting good enough to write the second draft. I was a bad writer when Liefdom was finished. I had to write a few more novels to get good enough to see what needed to change in Liefdom. All together, conception to submission, it’s taken ten years. In that time, I was working on other stuff, trying to figure out how to write a book.

What is your work schedule like when you are writing?

When I am writing a book, I work on it five days a week, every weekday. I sit down at my computer and I check my email. I check Facebook. Then, I listen to some music. For as long as I can, I try not to write. When I can’t take it anymore, I pull up the document and start chopping. I write 4,000 words a day. With the speed at which I type, it takes about two hours, maybe a little more, to get the day’s work in. If, for some reason, it takes longer, then I am at it longer. I have a quota. I meet that quota every day or I don’t sleep.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Usually when I am writing I have no idea what is going to happen in the scene. When I start a book, I have a vague idea of what the end will be, but I’m not married to it. The book kinda throws fits in my mind and I type them out. It gets off on tangents that turn out to be my subplots, or main plots some times. It is very much like controlled chaos when I am writing, like throwing the track down in front of a speeding train.

In your opinion, what does it take to get a book published?

I have no idea what it takes to get published. There is so much information out there. People dedicate their entire lives to figuring out the witchcraft of the publishing world. Ask anyone in it and they will say that even they have very little control over what they represent or publish. It depends on the time of year sometimes. Sometimes it is a list they are trying to fill. They need two more romances this year, and a thriller, but they have done their sci-fi for the year. The industry is subjective. Don’t take your rejections personally. The only way to get it done is to believe that cream will always rise. If you write a good enough book, people will want to read it. If they don’t want to read it, work harder. It is the only thing you really have control of, but it is a big thing. Quality is up to you. Take comfort in that. Quality is in your hands. You are the only one who is in control of how good your book is.  That is a good thing.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?

My ideas come from many places. I bet you get tired of hearing that. When I was a kid, I played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons. I ran the game; the story was mine to create. So, I trained myself to create it all at the blink of an eye, to come up with a story out of thin air. If I wanted to play, I needed to come up with a plot that enticed my friends. I did that for decades. Your mind gets trained to do tricks if you allow it. Mine was trained to come up with fantasy stories on the fly.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?

I started writing Chaste when I was, when I was 29, I think. Don’t check my math. It was in 2004, maybe 28 years old. I wrote 2,000 words a day back then. I had read Stephen King’s book On Writing and it told me his workday was 2,000 words a day. If it is good enough for the master, it was good enough for me. It took me about nine months to write that book, if you take into account bad work habits and laziness. When I was done, it wasn’t a good book. I didn’t know how to write one. Very few people that try to write a book know how to do it. I was shooting blind, hit a few good things. Most were misses. A few years ago, I cleaned it up really well. It’s a good book now. But it hasn’t been published yet.

What do you like to do when you are not writing?

When I’m not writing, I just like being around my wife. We can do nothing and have a great time. We sit and talk for hours, sometimes about things that are deadly serious, sometimes about nonsense. Both are great. She is the best of me. She is my inspiration when things get hard. She is a classically trained artist that is now a freelance graphic designer. She taught me so much about art and creativity. She is hilarious. She is sexy. She is a goof and she’s a genius. She is everything a woman can be. She is my favorite pastime. Just hanging out with her is the dream of my life. It’s what I do when I’m done pounding on my keyboard. It’s what I do when I’m done mowing the lawn.


For more about Liefdom, and Jesse Teller, visit his KindleScout campaign page: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1HPG86CQEF8U0

Meet the Author:

Jesse Teller
   
Jesse Teller lives in Missouri. He hasn’t always, but like storytelling, it snuck into his bones. He lives with his wonderful, supportive wife and two inspiring kids. When he is not pounding too hard on his poor keyboard, you can find him bumping into walls and mumbling to himself.

facebook (2)
________

WHAT IS A KINDLESCOUT CAMPAIGN?

Kindle Scout is reader-powered publishing for new, never-before-published books. It’s a place where readers help decide if a book gets published. Selected books will be published by Kindle Press and receive 5-year renewable terms, a $1,500 advance, 50% eBook royalty rate, easy rights reversions and featured Amazon marketing.

PLEASE VOTE FOR LIEFDOM BY CLICKING HERE


1 comment:

  1. LIEFDOM is now available on Amazon!
    https://www.amazon.com/Liefdom-Tale-Perilisc-Jesse-Teller-ebook/dp/B01FWP8WS4

    ReplyDelete